Laserfiche WebLink
MINUTES <br /> OF THE SPECIAL MEETING OF THE <br /> EDINA CITY COUNCIL HELD AT <br /> EDINA FIRE STATION #1 <br /> JULY 5,2006 <br /> 5:00 P.M. <br /> ROLLCALL Answering rollcall were Members Housh, Hulbert,Masica, and Mayor Hovland. <br /> Mayor Hovland said the purpose of the special work session was to tour the Edina Fire Station <br /> and receive information about potential remodeling of the Station. <br /> Following a tour of the Station, Gary Hay, Architect said Station #1 was located ideally within <br /> the City of Edina because of its proximity to Highway 62. However, the Station was built in <br /> 1972 and was designed to serve a department that answered fire calls. He pointed out the <br /> Edina Fire Department has developed an emergency medical service that responds to <br /> numerous calls daily. Mr. Hay explained 70% of calls received by the Fire Department were <br /> actually EMS calls where someone was actually transported for service. He continued stating <br /> that of the remaining calls 30% were for fires and but only 30% of the fire calls were real <br /> incidents,with the remaining being false alarms not needing service. <br /> Mr. Hay said there were many deficiencies in the existing station for medical response teams. <br /> He pointed out the fire fighting work force has changed over time and Edina has just hired <br /> their first woman paramedic/firefighter. The living spaces need to be remodeled to <br /> accommodate female paramedic/firefighters. <br /> Mr. Hay presented his proposal for Fire Station #1. He showed a comparison of the existing <br /> areas and a proposed remodeling of the station within the existing structure, and a partial <br /> demolition/rebuild of the station. Mr. Hay also presented some preliminary program <br /> adjacencies of each alternative. <br /> The Council discussed with Mr. Hay, Chief Scheerer and Manager Hughes the various <br /> components which should be addressed in any remodeling of the fire station. They discussed <br /> the challenges of modeling, partial demolition/reconstruction and a total demolition <br /> reconstruction, financing of any project, and the time line that would be followed. Consensus <br /> was that Mr. Hay should continue working on a concept design to be brought before Council at <br /> a regular meeting. <br /> Mayor Hovland adjourned the meeting at 6:30 p.m. <br /> Respectfully submitted, <br /> 11A YJAA <br /> Deb a Man , City Clerk <br />